Nov 17, 2015

Things you are and things you are not

You are the first ray of sun as it comes up over the mountain. You are the bright yellow of a school bus and the satin gold of my skin in the summer. You are deeper than the black dots in my left Iris. Somehow, you are every leaf that has fallen off every tree. But you are not the branches. I am the trunk. You are the rough rock of prayer on my kitchen windowsill. You are not the stop sign, but you are red. You are not the dull color of my eyes. You are the soft smell of my perfume. You are the green egg in my basket. Although you are not the spiderweb in the corner of the attic, you are the darkness that resides there. However, you are also the window light shines through. You are the friction that allows me to skate on ice. You are the constant readjustment of my hair, and the smell of warm things. You are the last sip of hot chocolate, when it's only lukewarm and your stomach is full. You are the state of mind I get into when I am about to fall asleep. You are the ricocheting echoes when I yell in a tunnel. You are the unbound dreams of little children, and the discarded advice of teenagers, and the heavy feeling in adults. You are the soft lead of my pencil. You are the pain felt when cold fingers warm up. You are the scent and touch of brown leather. You are the sounds heard when it snows. You are the in and out breathing of the earth, so faint, only I can hear it. You are not the lamp post in front of my house. You are not the starched collars of my dad's shirts. You are not my doll eyes. You are the water inside a cactus. And you are the sky during rainy days, and the sea on stormy ones. Supposedly, you are a mallard but I know you're more like a penguin. I am the ripples in the water and you are the rock that makes them. You are the coarse wool yarn of my favorite scarf, and I am the knitting needles that made it. You are the lack of anything in space, and I am the red eye on Jupiter. You are bent pages in the books I own, and the mistakes I find when I read them, but you are also the letter "i". You are not me but I am you,
 and together, we are the number zero. 

5 comments:

  1. "Although you are not the spiderweb in the corner of the attic, you are the darkness that resides there."

    Shut up and take my money. Whatever you're selling, I'll buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this in A2 today.

    I felt alive while reading it. Some of my favorite lines:
    -"Somehow, you are every leaf that has fallen off every tree. But you are not the branches. I am the trunk."
    -"You are the last sip of hot chocolate"
    -"You are the in and out breathing of the earth"
    -"You are the water inside a cactus."

    But mostly, the end.

    Thank you. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are the lack of anything in space, and I am the red eye on Jupiter"

    Loved the analogies

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! I like the line "Although you are not the spiderweb in the corner of the attic, you are the darkness that resides there"

    ReplyDelete